Mushroom Quinoa Risotto
To prepare the mushroom stock:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add in the carrot and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and bring up to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for an hour.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer (discard the vegetable and herbs) and season with salt to taste. This can be made 3 days in advance or frozen 1-2 months in advance.
To prepare the mushrooms:
- Put the dried porcinis in a spice grinder or food processor and pulse until they reach a powder consistency. Set aside.
- Add the hearts of palm and milk along with a pinch of salt and pepper to the food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the pan to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the mushrooms, garlic, and thyme and cook until browned and tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat, and set aside.
To prepare the quinoa:
- Preheat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in the quinoa and toss until coated.
- Add in the white wine and let it evaporate.
- Add in the stock and porcini powder and cook over medium-low for about 10-12 minutes, or until the stock is almost fully absorbed.
- Fold in the pureed artichoke hearts and stir until creamy and thick.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, prepared mushrooms, peas, and milk and season with a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with Italian parsley and additional grated cheese, if desired.
Optional: Top with shredded zucchini
Dietary servings Per Portion
Meat Alternative 0.2
Milk Alternative 0.3
Like the recipe? Please enter your email on the footer and click subscribe to get a copy of the e-book of 25 delicious high protein recipes for athletic performance & weight loss